Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:01:21 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-x11@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, 0mp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic multimonitor setup question

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:24:51 +0100
Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 15/03/2022 03:03, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 10:16:46AM +0100, Milan Obuch wrote:
> >> I did some searching, googling and similar... a found two ports
> >> already in FreeBSD's port collection, x11/arandr and x11/srandrd.
> >> The former is just a graphical interface to xrandr, easy to
> >> understand and intuitive (similar to the way Windows and MacOS X
> >> does multimonitor setup). The latter should do what I am after,
> >> but it did not work for me :(
> >>
> >> Per 'man srandrd', if started with 'srandrd -v -n some_script', it
> >> should output some debug data (-v), stay in foreground (-n) and
> >> invoke some_script when monitor is being plugged or unplugged. It
> >> does not work for me. Something happens just when I invoke
> >> 'xrandr' in another terminal - I see some debug output, but the
> >> script is not invoked.
> >>
> >> Is anybody here using x11/srandrd? I can debug the script
> >> invocation, but if the event is not detected without external
> >> intervention, it is not really usable for me. And I have no
> >> experience with debugging the issue in graphics stack...
>
> I'm using srandrd to recenter my wallpapers when I configure an
> external monitor (I always do it manually with either arandr or
> xrandr).
>
> I just start srandrd like this:
>
> srandrd -e -n ~/bin/srandrd-handler
>
> ~/bin/srandrd-handler is a shell script with an executable bit set
> and it contains only the following:
>
> #! /bin/sh -
> feh --no-fehbg --bg-center --image-bg 'black' "${HOME}/wallpaper.png"

Thanks for response. Using similar method to start, with full path
pointing to handler, I am getting script called and it does what is
intended... but I have just

---- 8< ------------------------------------------------------------

#! /bin/sh

/usr/bin/env>/home/milan/randr-log-env

---- 8< ------------------------------------------------------------

in my script, so nothing is currently done, just logged.

The main problem, however, still remains - action is done not when
cable is being plugged/unplugged, but xrandr or arandr must be called
manually, then intended action occurs.

What hardware do you have? In my case, graphics device is

vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 rev=0x06 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x3185 subvendor=0x0000 subdevice=0x0000
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

and kernel driver used is i915kms.ko.

Regards,