Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:39:21 -0700
From:      Marvin McNett <mmcnett@cs.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Juan Fco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
Subject:   Re: On-Line Kernel Debugging Using Remote GDB

Looks like you forgot to set the 'flags 080' on the sio device of the
machine being debugged.  This is a logical OR with what was set before.  So,
for me, I changed the line in my kernel config

    device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
    device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x90 irq 4

and attach my serial cable to the first serial port of the machine being
debugged.

Also, you want to use

    target remote /dev/cuaa0    (the dialout serial port)

assuming you've attached your serial cable to the first serial port of the
debugging host.

Finally, you won't have any sioX devices in /dev, so stop looking for them.
:-)