Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:02:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   QuickCam

OK, I've got 2.2.1-RELEASE w/PAO on a Toshiba Satellite 115CS, I got X
running, fired up sdr and vic and Voila'!  Video working like a champ,
believe it or not in 8 Meg (my 420CDS has 24 meg, but it's at home).
Never mind that big pause switching between windows!

So, now I rebuild the kernel with qcam0:

device qcam0 at isa? port "IO_LPT1" conflicts
device lpt0 at isa? port? tty

I left the irq stuff off the lpt line, as the qcam(4) man page says to
run the lpt port in polled mode when you have the qcam hooked up.  I
started off by adding "flags 1" to the qcam0 line, as the man page says
detecting the qcam is flaky and that forces it on.  With "flags 1" it
says "qcam0 found at 0x378...", but when I try running qcamcontrol, the
whole system locks up.  You can switch between virtual terminals, but
can't even get character echo or mouse movement (the man page says it
uses a busywait in the kernel, so I assume that it's in that waiting
for something that never shows up).  I took out "flags 1", and get
"qcam0 not found at 0x378".  lpt0 is found at 0x378...

Help!

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.