Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:28:40 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.mt.net>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

<<On Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:21:28 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com> said:

> But..  but..  We *need* the source tree to be decoupled from
> /usr/include or we'll never achieve our goal of being able to make all
> the dependencies work properly when doing a `make all' (the current
> world target is just evil and needs to DIE!) in a tree that's just
> been blapped onto some machine with old headers and libraries! :-(

But we should not (cannot) force developers of other software that
just happens to run on FreeBSD to make substantial modifications to
their build model just because we want to make our makefiles cleaner.
Otherwise what you end up with is a mess like a certain program I was
working on last month: unable to depend on being able to access the
correct headers for the kernel in question (this was in SunOS), the
developers just included local copies of the header files that you had
to add to the kernel to get it to work anyway.

This is evil, and not something I want to see perpetrated in FreeBSD.
We need to remember that not all programs compiled under FreeBSD use
the FreeBSD build system, no matter how convenient it might be.  (And
whatever that system evolves into had better still be useful for
compiling non-source-tree programs, or a number of different users
will get screwed over.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.