Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:16:31 +0100
From:      Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPC8349EMITXE

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I'll be working on getting FreeBSD running on a MPC8349EMITXE
>
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8349EMITXE
>
> Anything I should know before I start ?

Expect a lot of excitement:

1. Bootloading, initialization
- the board has U-Boot which does not (yet) support booting FreeBSD
kernel. For early development you can get away with loading and starting
kernel manually (objcopy -> binary, then 'tftpload' + 'go'). For
production environment U-Boot needs to be extended to handle FreeBSD
kernel, and as mentioned our patches introducing FreeBSD support in
U-Boot are on the way.

- low-level kernel init - major overhaul is required for initialization
and setting up basic CPU state as current FreeBSD/powerpc port is
strictly Mac/OF-oriented.

2. VM
- the CPU is e300 core and the MMU model is the traditional PowerPC
approach (BATs + segments), which is what the current port has, although
there's siginificant work required in this area since current code is
heavily dependent on OF-provided settings, not to mention it is really
messy and not easily adapted when using a new platform.

3. on-chip devices
- lots of work in this area is required (complete new drivers required
at least for interrupt controller, PCI bridges, other PQ2 peripherals
depending on your needs)

- nexus hierarchy: I guess you could base on our on-chip peripheral bus
implementation that we have for e500 (8555) as it's rather generic and
the peripherals organization quite similar

- TSEC - 83xx has the same enet controllers as in 85xx (same note as
above, the driver is under work and being finished)

- DUARTs are 16x50 and uart(4) should work without much problems, so
getting console output is rather quick

What's your timeline to get this working?

Rafal