Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 05:10:09 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail-8.7.2

I guess this is kind of a 24 hour warning...

I was just about to import sendmail-8.7.2 after having threatened and
promised to do so for quite some time..  Anyway, I'm running out of
energy (it's 5AM) so now might not be a really good time.. :-)  I'll
leave it for about 24 hours... (and do the known bugfix for 8.7.2 as well
for those on the sendmail-beta list...)

The main reason for doing this now, is that freefall could _really_ use an
additional hand on it's queues with the current state of disaster in
internet connectivity in general.  The number of unreachable hosts and
unreachable name servers is causing pretty horrible congestion on freefall.

The code has had 4 to 6 months of public scrutiny now, depending on how
early you count the public betas.  It fixes a massive number of bugs
(including a security problem) from 8.6.12.

One thing I've not decided on is what to do with the new mail.local,
rmail and smrsh programs which are supplied.  The mail.local and rmail
releases included basically have more seatbelts and bugfixes, and are the
official post-4.4Lite2 sources.

I'm tempted to import them in the native distribution layout and use
.PATH based stub Makefiles in bin/rmail and libexec/mail.local.

Anybody have comments on what to do with these three auxillary programs that
are now part of sendmail?

Yes, it will happily run with the older (level 5) sendmail.cf files,
although you can only activate some of the new features with the new
(level 6) format sendmail.cf.

-Peter