Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:00:38 +0300
From:      Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
To:        Bradley Kite <bradley@deathsgate.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        reiserfs-list@namesys.com, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-list] Reiserfs on Freebsd

Bradley Kite wrote:

>Hi there.
>
>I currently have too much time on my hands and am looking
>into the possibilities (and feasibility) of implementing ReiserFS
>on FreeBSD.
>
>Does any body know if someone is currently doing this? I dont want to
>duplicate the effort involved, and would much rather join an
>existing project that is trying to achieve the same thing.
>
>Also, (correct me if I am wrong), I believe that the main ReiserFS
>code can remain pritty much the same, and only the parts where it
>interfaces with the VFS, and low-level device drivers would need
>to be changed in order to port it over to FreeBSD. This is just a guess
>tho, as I havent really had a propper look at the reiserFS code yet.
>
>Any guidance/advice will be much appreciated.
>
>--
>Bradley Kite.

No one is doing it.  Be aware that ReiserFS is GPL'd, and that you need
to maintain the GPL when doing the port.

It is a very large job you are taking on.  Are you sure you want to
commit that much time without a commercial sponsor paying for it?  (We
have not done the port ourselves because no one will pay for it.)

Hans