Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 1996 22:39:05 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        delerium@eagle.ais.net (Synaesthesia)
Cc:        walter@biostat.sph.unc.edu (Bruce Walter), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIG's 11 and 6...

>> HEAT! My pentium 120 was having the above problems.  Switching out memory
>> would solve them for a day or two, but the problems would then start to
>> build up again.  FINALLY I replaced the CPU fan and added a big waffle fan
>> in the front of the case and VOILA...  No more SIG's for the last week.

>I've got a Pentium 133 here running 2.2-960612-SNAP, and it too was
>experiencing more or less random Segmentation Faults, Bus Errors,
>and/or Illegal Instructions.  This behavior persisted despite swapping
>SIMMs several times.  I finally resolved this with a strange fix:
>though the CPU can run at 133MHz, I clocked it down to 120MHz via jumper
>settings on the motherboard.  I haven't had any problems with it since.

I would invest in a better heat sink and fan.  You might also want to
get some heat sink compound to make a more uniform heat transfer area
between the chip surface and the heat sink surface.  You can pick up
heat sink compound at any Radio Shack, in a little blue and white
tube.  Well worth the couple bucks invested.

>I wonder if my problem is actually heat-related as well?  Reducing the
>CPU clock may simply cause the chip to run cooler.  Anyone else have
>similar troubles, or other ideas?

It's actually verified by several very fundamental laws of physics
that it will run cooler. :-)

But, since the chip is rated for 133MHz, it sounds like it's getting
_too_ _hot_, not because of the clock speed, but because the cooling
aparatus isn't doing an adequate job bring the chip down to
operational levels.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.