Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 20:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > Maybe im talking out of turn here (hell, I am) but it seems to me that
> > if there is something this significantly "broken", we should have at
> > least attempted to see how valid it was and move it into 2.2.  It
> > seems that our target it the high-performance, high-reliability ISP
> > service, and bugs that cause the entire system to freeze every n
> > seconds for many seconds is a serious problem.
>
> Is it any more serious that the other problems the VM guys spent hours
> fixing?  I'd consider it *less* serious that most of the other problems
> that were fixed in 2.1.
>
> There are only so many hours in a day, and those 24 were spent making
> 2.1 as good as it could get.  If this means that the system still has a
> 'feature' of pausing under certain conditions I don't mind it as much as
> rebooting and/or panicing under more common scenarios.

I tend to agree with that, however if Im not mistaken (I could be, its been
awhile) Matt provided source patches at the time that fixed the problems, would
it have been that difficult to review the patches and apply them?

> Either you get a release out the door, or you wait indefinately and fix
> all known bugs while the system stagnates because of lack of features.
> I think all involved would prefer the former to the latter. :)

I agree wholeheartedly, im not trying to point fingers here.  The original
reply was to assist in the solution of a problem that has again arisen in the
list, with a completed source-patch (which I assumed would be better than just
saying "hey Its broke!").

I agree that this cant go into 2.1 now, I'm just hoping it gets looked at
before 2.2

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/