Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:54:14 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "dick hoogendijk" <dick@nagual.st>, "Lorin Lund" <llund@wbs-inc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail configuration - how to route all mail through my ISP

----- Original Message -----
From: "dick hoogendijk" <dick@nagual.st>
To: "Lorin Lund" <llund@wbs-inc.com>
Cc: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 10:32 PM

> On 26 Jan Lorin Lund wrote:

> > I have a static IP and a domain but I can't send e-mail out
> > directly because my ISP blocks it.  I need to send all my e-mail out
> > through my ISP.  How do I tell sendmail to route all my mail out through
> > my ISP's mail server?
>
> The smarthost option does what you ask for.
> However, I don't get how your ISP can block *outgoing* connects
> of your sendmail. Some isp's block incoming connects on 25.

What he means is, that his ISP blocks all connects to port 25 which are not
directed at their SMTP server. Fairly common practice, these days. Hence, he
cannot send mail out using his own SMTP server.

Many of my users had the same problem: their ISP would not allow them to
connect to my SMTP server. That was easily solved, as I simply opened a
second DaemonPort (sendmail), and offered my users to connect to that
alternate port (in the high 7000+ region). That would allow THEM to bypass
their ISP restriction. My server, of course, still sends out via port 25.

So, setting his smarthost would indeed solve the problem, as his ISP will
allow him to send through their own SMTP server.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,