Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 96 22:59:06 MST
From:      Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Micron hardware for freebsd. Any info?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any info about using Micron hardware with FreeBSD?

I've been warned by a FreeBSD guru that a high (150+) MHz box is likely
to be slower than a lesser MHz box with a better motherboard.

Micron have good windoze based benchmarks, but I've also been told
to ignore them when thinking about FreeBSD.

Micron are at
  http://www.mei.micron.com/

I'm waiting for a response from their tech dept as to what bus rates
their systems run at.

While I'm here, does anyone have recommendations for a home
machine to be used to run FreeBSD, for software development
where text processing large amounts of data with perl is
likely to be the thing I need to get working fast.

I'm looking at something starting at the P133/32Mb RAM spec,
but am happy to push both up if the spec is right.

Info or pointers appreciated.

cheers,
rob
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill