Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        FreeBSD user <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make kernel KERNCONF=

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, FreeBSD user wrote:

> Newbie question, how do I build a new kernel and put it at a place and
> name that I specify rather than always to /kernel? Ie.,
>
> cd /usr/src && make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC OUTPUT=/kernel.GENERIC
>
> In another words, I don't want /kernel to be overwritten. Thanks in
> advance.

Instead of make kernel, type make buildkernel
This just builds it instead of also installing it.
Then find it in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC (it will be
called just kernel) and (from that directory, type:
mv kernel /kernel.GENERIC
or cp kernel /kernel.GENERIC
If you are, as this suggests, creating a new kernel.GENERIC for an
updated system, you might want to move the original kernel.GENERIC
to kernel.GENERIC.OLD before you move or copy the new one into /.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC