Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:59:21 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        marcin@polaccess.com
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving server to a diffrent LAN

At 10:41 AM 1/29/98 -0600, Marcin Pasek wrote:
>Thanks for help and I found the info at /etc/sysconfig....I have one
>more question... I am using a DNS on a diffrent computer ...how do I
>change the DNS setup on that server? it's not in the sysconfig file...

If there server is in DNS for some domain and you net you may want to change the DNS ahead of time:

@ IN SOA your.net. admin.your.net. (
    1998012802  ; Serial
    10800       ; Refresh after 3 hours
    3600        ; Retry after 1 hour
    604800       ; Expire after 1 week
    86400 )     ; Minimum time to live of 1 day

Changing the refresh to say 1 hour (or less), so the secondaries pick up faster.  You should change the minimum to 1 hour the day prior to changing the IP or whatever the minimum value is.  After the secondaries refresh, change the refresh back along with the minimum.

All depends on how important DNS is to the machine.

If it doesn't matter much, you could just change the IP in the zone record, increment the serial number and reload named, but be aware that the changes will not be global until the cached zone expires.

Leaving the values low on the minimum isn't considered good form.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com