Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:44:43 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disappearing Daemon?

I've posted this question before under the subject, "Samba disappears", but
perhaps the subject title made it seem like the question was specifically
about Samba. I don't think that's it. Something is causing the process to
vanish after it's been started.

For the last couple of weeks (I'm not sure when it started) I've been
having a problem running Samba. The program is started as a daemon on
boot-up, but then the process seems to disappear. I've tried starting it
manually, and the same thing happens. It's baffling, because it had been
running fine for the last three or four years. I can't figure out what
changed on the server, but something must have.

I'm running Freebsd 4.5-STABLE:
FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Wed Feb 27 08:29:05 ICT 2002

and have upgraded to Samba 2.2.5, but the behavior was observed when I was
still running 2.0.7 (yesterday).

The behavior I see when I try it manually is:
[root@kepler:~]# /usr/local/sbin/smbd -D
[root@kepler:~]# ps -aux | grep smbd
root    92332  0.0  0.9  1036  528  p0  R+   11:13AM   0:00.01 grep smbd
[root@kepler:~]# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/smbd.pid`
su: kill: (92040) - No such pid

so the process is being started, and then just vanishes. I've tried running
it with debug level set to 3 or 4, but nothing shows up in the log except
smbd starting and loading some parameters. None of the Win98 computers on
the subnet can see

Can anyone offer any suggestions about what I can investigate next? I've
never heard of behavior like this.
--
Roger