Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:17:21 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: No DRM kernel support for i830 ?

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 13:01, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > The i830 DRM stuff is ported in a branch of DRI, but it's not in DRI head
> > because of a security problem with the code.
>
> Just out of curiousity, does this support the original i810 chipset?
>
> ie: agp0: <Intel 82810E (i810E GMCH) SVGA controller> mem
> 0xff000000-0xff07ffff,0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff irq 9 at device 1.0 on pci0

No, it doesnt.  Actually, the Intel driver going forward currently is
the i915 driver, which is going to be in the next X.Org release, is
apparently secure, is ported to FreeBSD (untested iirc -- I'm setting up
a machine now), and supports i830-i915.  There's been a suggestion that
i915 could be extended to support i810 as well, which would deal with
the security model issues that I suspect are the same on i810 as i830.
That would be the hardest but perhaps best option.  The alternate route
is to just port the i810 driver as-is.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org