Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:53:38 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "David B." <incomex@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migration question

On Thursday 07 September 2006 00:19, David B. wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently using OpenBSD 3.8 on an E450.  I have a few issues with
> openbsd and am considering migrating over to freebsd.
>
> openbsd does not support SMP on the sparc64, I have 4 processors and am only
> using 1.
> I understand that SMP is fully supported in freebsd.

Yes, SMP is supported.

> I am currently using RaidFrame to raid5 the Enterprise Network Array of 14
> fiber channel drives.  Does freebsd support hardware raid? specifically, DPT
> raid cards? If not, does it have a mature RaidFrame option I can compile
> into the kernel?  I currently am running to Raids, Raid0 is where I have my
> boot drives raided together, and then Raid1 is where I have all of my
> fiberchannels raided together.  If you don't support Raidframe, but do
> support hardware raid, have you a solution where I can raid my two boot
> drives together? or do I just go get another raid card and do it that way?
> Oh, if you don't support DPT that's OK, I'll go buy whatever you guys do
> support; I'll just have to have a hardware list, which I'm sure is available
> on your site.

You can probably use hardware raid cards.  You might be able to use your DPT
card, but I'm not sure.  There is also software RAID available via gmirror,
gstripe, etc.  The best bet for your card is to just boot an install CD and
look in the dmesg to see if it finds your disks.

> Also, I am running postgresql as my database, I'm assuming Postgres is
> available?  I am also thinking that you probably are using a 1.x version of
> Apache? like Openbsd does, because it's more secure and there seems to be an
> issue with Apache2 licensing?

You can install whichever versions of postgresql and apache that you wish
using the ports collection.

> And finally, the big thing about openbsd's claims is that they are very
> secure, which I suspect is probably true; how much, if any, is there a real
> difference in the security of your kernel, versus openbsd?  I'm assuming you
> guys have everything chrooted by default like openbsd does, but I can't
> imagine there is too much of a difference in a default install; it's not
> like you guys are just going to leave known vulnerabilities unfixed.  Have
> you an idea, like 1 to 100 scale on security? or is there a website where I
> can find a benchmark?

I don't think everything is chroot'd by default, but you can certainly run
processes in chroots (or better yet, jails).

> yeah, and one other thing, for some reason my probe during boot doesn't find
> my floppy drive, can you imagine that?  So I have this huge computer,
> running securely, but I can't use my floppy.

FreeBSD doesn't support the floppy drive on any of the sparc64 machines AFAIK.

--
John Baldwin