Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:02:21 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd crash after inode depletion..

>> > I've got this message. Then system destroys my / partition. I also
>> > believe that was'nt a bug. I think it is nice feature added in kernel. ;)
>>
>> I have a hard time believing that the two are related.  I've exhausted
>> inodes on our news server quite a few times (and on some of my own
>> machines) without any data corruption whatsoever.
>>
>> Be careful making assertions like this if you're not *really sure*
>> that a relationship exists.  I do not see any of the investigative
>> work required to prove this one way or another given here.
>
>I've noticed an infrequent but consistent tendency for the system to panic
>with "free vnode isn't" some time after hitting inode exhaustion.  With a
>sample size of only a few instances, all I can establish is that I have NOT
>seen a "free vnode isn't" panic without first having run out of inodes.
>
>(system is running 1026-SNAP, by the way, which may be significant - I never
>saw this panic under 2.0.5R, but then again, I can't recall ever having run
>out of inodes under 2.0.5R)

   For those that are seeing this problem ("free vnode isn't"), please add
options DIAGNOSTIC
   ...to your kernel. I need to know if the vnode reference count is going
negative. Also, a description of *all* filesystem types that you're using on
the system would be useful. It looks like the problem may be correlated to
the out-of-inodes condition, but maybe not.
   Since the problem seems to happen often for some people, perhaps I'll be
able to get this one fixed quickly (although too late for 2.1...sorry). BTW,
we do plan to provide patches to 2.1 after the release.

-DG