Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:38:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDRW compatibility

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Mark Miller wrote:

> I remember awhile back reading the list of burncd-supported ATAPI CDRW
> drives, and at the time it was a short list.  I'm now thinking of moving
> up to a faster drive,  and according to Section 4.6 of
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/hardware.html
> "FreeBSD supports any ATAPI-compatible IDE CD-R or CD-RW drive."
>
> Is this in fact correct?  For burning purposes?  Really?  The drive
> I'm considering is the Sony CRX195A1/C1, and I'd like to know if this
> updated information is correct-- which improved, the software or hardware?

That's a drive I have at work.  Although I haven't used it much, it has
worked fine, and seems to be very nice.  Heavily discounted now, too.

The LG drive in my notebook will read and write data CDs, and read
audio, but gives an error when attempting to write audio.  This is
something I'd read about elsewhere, too.  Since I don't record audio
CD's, I haven't done anything more about it.  Haven't tried it on the
Sony drive, either.

See http://freebsd.dk for a list of "known good" drives.