Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:32:31 +0100
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Russell L. Carter wrote:

> When I was working out my own mounts, it seemed that sharenfs=on was
> required to make them work, but I just checked and indeed I can
> mount a zfs file system over NFS4.1 without it.  So I would definitely
> agree about not complicating things.

The complicated thing about the options here is not so much where they have
to be set (although I am doing a pretty good job ob messing that up), but
rather that it's a pain if a setting can be found in one of 10
configuration
files. That is a real pain.

> Having both sharenfs and sharesmb *seem* to work does complicate
> figuring out how to make NFS work if you don't already know this,
> though.

Well, I always got NFS to work fine in the past and we use it quite heavily
at work. This is my first try at NFS with ZFS. And as I stated, the
directory /usr/archive (which is a subfolder of / and formated with UFSv2)
can be read fine. So if move or copy something from within
/usr/archive/Shared to /usr/archive, I can access that file or folder tree.
But let's say that is sub-optimal.

> Back to Christian's problem, I don't see nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
> in your rc.conf lines.  I have it in mine, and NFSv4 works.
> See man(4) nfsv4.

I was actually expecting NFSv4 to be that default in FreeBSD 10.1. But ok,
added the line and restarted the nfsd with

root@obelix:/usr/archive/Shared # /etc/rc.d/nfsd restart
Stopping nfsd.
Waiting for PIDS: 11247 11248, 11247.
Starting nfsd.

> You might have a look at /var/log/messages after restarting nfsd.

There was nothing in /var/log/messages about the nfsd restarting. But there
was something when I tried to mount the export:

Feb 23 13:05:19 obelix mountd[50070]: mount request denied from
192.168.100.8 for /usr/archive/Shared

Is there a way to get a message about what motivated this reaction? The
mount command wasn't helpful either:

root@falbala:/mnt # mount obelix:/usr/archive/Shared /mnt/Shared/
[tcp] obelix:/usr/archive/Shared: Permission denied

Note that this keeps going and I have to exit it via ctl-c.

Kind regards,
Christian