Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:08:40 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accessing partitions using FIXIT/Live-System-CDROM?

Hi,

After wiping out my system :-(, i.e. the root-partition and parts of
/usr I'd like to rescue any data that might be left on the machine,
like /home, /var etc.

So I booted with the "Live-CDROM" (#2) and went to the Fixit Menu
item.

However I can't mount any paritions beside the original root-partition.

To be specifc:

My harddisk basically is one FreeBSD-slice, da0. da0 is divided into
several partitions like da0s1a (root), da0s1h (home) etc.

Using the live-system CD (fixit) I can do

mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt (note it's da0s1, not da0s1a as I'd expected)

However when trying to mount another partition (like "h") I get the
following error:

mount /dev/da0s1h /mnt3
mount: /dev/da0s1h: Operation not permitted

Since there was no entry in /dev for da0s1h (only for da0s1, the
complete slice), I set one up with mknod. This entry is exactly the
same (major/minor) as the corresponding entry in my original
/dev/da0s1h had which at that time is mounted as /mnt/dev.

Even when having an entry for the partition in question (da0s1h in the
example) I cant' mount that partition.

Sure enough the data still seems to be there - the question for me is
how do I mount these partitions so I can get the data off the machine
before installing it from scratch?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald