Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:53:16 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        pbrezny@purplecat.net
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dummynet bw limit problem

Well hey there, Peter ;)

Peter Brezny wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I'm having difficulties with dummynet limiting connections when I set the
>bw limit to anything greater than around 900 Kbit/sec.
>Using pipes 1-8 below, even mixed and matched for asymmetric control work
>fine, except when i bring in a pipe numbered 9 or greater.
>
>I've tried changing the queue size from between 20Kbytes to 50Kbytes
>I've tried increasing the buckets to 256
>
>But no luck.
>
>Interestingly, with the configuration below, if I ping a host on the
>internet, tcpdump shows the request and the reply, but I get nothing on
>the console.
>
>If I mix and match the in and outbound pipes, I'll either get nothing on
>the console, or:
>ping: sendto: No buffer space available

Apart from fixing the problems that Luigi pointed out, you might want to
consider changing the amount of memory allocated to mbufs on your
system. If you've set your net.inet.tcp.recvspace and/or
net.inet.tcp.sendspace too high, you may not have enough memory
allocated for network operations and packet operations will fail with
the error message above.

Good luck :)

Devon H. O'Dell
http://bsdportal.org