Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:41:59 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
To:        Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [comp.os.linux.announce] ....POSIX and other stuff

Lars Koeller wrote:

> -----
>
> Hi!
>
> Good idea, to certify POSIX compatibility to FreeBSD I think a lot of ISV only
> looks up if a OS fits some international standards.
>
> Lars
Hello!
Well... actually POSIX wasnīt my idea, NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
working on it and I think FreeBSD also has some work going on. Linux is
following POSIX because they donīt have enough standards, at least we
donīt have a Slackware. Debian, and RedHAT BSD! This movement started
because NIST liberated their POSIX conformance test hoping that someone
will use it.
ISVīs will only look for profit :(, the only interested in POSIX
certification are government agencies and contractors.
The idea of a compatibility certification for Linux under FreeBSD is not
at all bad, but I would be _very_ surprised if Linux developers would
accept being certified by another OS. The good part of the idea is that
we should know which emulated apps run under Freebsd before buying them!
To put it another way, I wouldnīt buy Oracle for SCO right now.

Pedro.