Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:15:59 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@willow.raggedclown.intra>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade -- revisited

<cls@willow.raggedclown.intra> typed:
> > > Will the ports maintainers *please* make sure they release
> > > compilable ports..especially for the big mothers like X/KDE.
> >
> > I'm sure they do. However, they can't test in your environment. The
> > X ports built fine for me. I don't use KDE, so haven't tried to
> > build that. If you send the maintainer a note with the error
> > messages when you tried to build the port, they might be able to
> > fix it. A generic "it didn't build" on -questions almost certainly
> > means that nothing will happen.
>
> Ok Mike, I really do always respect your advice.
> I want as much as anyone else that things *work*.
> I do not mind geting my hand dirty, if it improves things.
> But I think, after reflecting on it, that the ports system is in a
> mess. I will see if I can be more positive about improving it.
> But I am dmned if I am going to learn Ruby :)

I just finished building kde and X. In the last 2 weeks I have
portupgrade -puf portupgrade
portupgrade -pufr png
portupgrade -pufr fontconfig
portupgrade -pufr libxml2
portupgrade -pufr ghostscript-gnu

I have also done a portupgrade -pufR XFree86 on a box with problems. It
wasn't X with the problem it turns out. I just wanted a clean X. There
was a minor problem with ghostscript-gnu's font directory during the
deinstall phase. I removed and did a make package to reinstall it.

What portupgrade options are you using? When you do "-r", you have to
force "-f".

Kent

--
Kent Stewart