Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:34:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, dufault@hda.com
Subject:   Re: Kudos...

> > The only thing that I don't know if can be fixed (or even matters), but
> > x11amp does generate:
> >
> > sched_setscheduler: Function not implemented
> >
> > It doesn't seem to affect performance or how it operates though...
>
> No; this is (sort of) the Linux equivalent of the FreeBSD rtprio stuff.
> x11amp is attempting to change the scheduling algorithm that's applied
> to it to improve its chances of keeping up.
>
> We had some Posix scheduler stuff done, but I think we fumbled the
> ball.  If Peter Dufault is still around he would be able to answer that
> better.
>
> Peter?

I'm half around.  I fumbled that ball.

There are patches that probably won't apply anymore on freefall.
They are too ambitious for the time I have, adding a "level 0"
implementation of all new POSIX stuff so that you can test for
feature presense and add pieces in via an LKM.

I wanted to add everything in one swell foop for consistency.  Take
a look at the patches and see if you agree I went too far - I think
they are in ~ftp/pub/dufault/posix4.tgz.

This weekend I'll try to strip out only the scheduler sections and
commit that to current.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval