Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:38:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I off my rocker? (/dev/tick device)

"J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect" <jamil@acroal.com> wrote:

> 1) I realize that (/dev/tick).  However, the "clock" is a device, and
> in the UNIX spirit of things should also be a file. No?

Not all of them.  For example, network devices don't appear in the
filesystem in BSD (although i think this is just inconsistent with the
remainder of the OS).

Anyway, i've got an implementation for a /dev/rtc in the pipeline, but
it went somewhat on the backburner (the ISDN folks are bugging me to
adopt the sppp driver for the new isdn4bsd code :).  The idea behind
/dev/rtc is that you could do synchronized reads from their,
correlating to the CMOS RTC ticks.  The implementation is 95 % ready,
but needs some thoughts to solve a few tricky things on SMP machines.

--
cheers, J"org