Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:17:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Valentino Crimi)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: While we're at it...

Thomas Valentino Crimi wrote:
>   Problem I ran into is in unexalpha.c, it calls some header files,
> "filehdr.h, aouthdr.h, scnhdr.h, and syms.h" that are probably found on
> OSF but I've never heard of.  unexfreebsd.c probably can't e expected to
> work so maybe if I grab these files from an OSF system it will work?
> Does that sound too easy? ;)

The OSF headers are (not surprisingly) closely tied to the functionality
that DEC provides in its libraries. syms.h defines things that are used
by exception handling and stack unwinding in OSF/1 (DU). We need something
similar (cut down) to support modula-3 and therefore CVSup. It requires
linker mods to complete (redesign?) the #ifdef'd out code that is in
the binutils bfd (elf-alpha.c). The #ifdef'd out code is similar to the
bfd elf32-mips.c code that generates a procedure table. AFAIK, this
table is only generated for shared libraries on MIPs. The alpha calling
standard for DU indicates that the procedure table is required for
static links too, iff one or more of the specific symbols are referenced.

>   Maybe we can also begin to work on which ports work properly under
> alpha, albiet some packages are far harder to give a comprehensive test
> to.  So far I can only report that tcsh compiles and installs fine.

You'll get a lot further building FreeBSD ports with FreeBSD/Alpha
because the patches are designed to work with FreeBSD headers and library
functionality. The configure scripts will correctly identify the system
as FreeBSD.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137