Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:22:27 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PKG_NG: pkg deinstall fails with "argument list too long"

On 2012-08-27 20:03, Stefan Esser wrote:
> PKG_NG seems to have introduced a limit on the size of ports that can be
> deinstalled:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/math/lapack
> #  make deinstall
> ===>  Deinstalling for math/lapack
> ===>   Deinstalling lapack-3.4.0_2
> The following packages will be deinstalled:
>
>         lapack-3.4.0_2
>
> The deinstallation will free 28 MB
> Deinstalling lapack-3.4.0_2...lapack-3.4.0_2 is required by:
> qrupdate-1.1.1, deleting anyway
> pkg: Cannot run script(DEINSTALL): Argument list too long
> *** [deinstall] Error code 3
>
> This is on an up-to-date -CURRENT with freshly fetched ports and
> pkg-1.0.r6_1 and WITH_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf.
>
> Regards, STefan

One limitation I found was if the port has a really long pkg-plist
the `pkg repo' command times are going to the roof.

For example `pkg repo' a folder with metasploit.txz only takes
in a ramdisk and everything else on SSD ~80+ seconds.
Extracting the packages takes ~3s. in RAM or on SSD (pkgng issue #322).