Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 02:36:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        matt@megaweapon.zigg.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: work directories -- put them somewhere else?

 * I'd like to mount /usr/ports over NFS on another machine, but what
 * concerns me is the work directories that make puts in the individual
 * ports.  Ideally, I'd like these to be somewhere else, i.e. /tmp.  How
 * possible is this?

Try setting "WRKDIR".  For instance, if you set it like

WRKDIR=	/tmp/${.CURDIR}/work

(/etc/make.conf is a good place for things like this), you will get
the directory structure replicated under /tmp.

I haven't tried it for all ports, so YMMV.

Satoshi