Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:33:25 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        Mikael Bak <mikael@t-online.hu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade FreeBSD 7.1 to 7.2

> From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:08:14 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Mikael Bak <mikael@t-online.hu> writes:
>
> > Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> > Miroslav, Robert, Lowell,
> >
> > Thank you all for the useful information!
> >
> > The binary upgrade from 7.1 -> 7.2 went without any problems.
> > I didn't bother to switch to single user mode. I did however stop some
> > critical services in /etc/rc.conf before starting the upgrade.
> >
> > The reason why I didn't go to single user mode was that my /usr and /var
> > were not mounted in single user. I had only /. I wasn't sure how to deal
> > with that.
>
> You mount them.  There's an entry in the FAQ on it, but the short
> version is (if I recall offhand): "mount -a" will do it.

Recommended order (after reboot, not just a drop to single-user) is:
fsck -p (Not likely needed, but it's safest and, if it was not needed,
         runs in under s second)
adjkertz -i (if hardware clock runs local time)
swapon -a (Just in case you need to swap, which s unlikely, but it's
           best to be safe)
mount -a -t ufs (System may not be ready to mount non-ufs systems)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)