Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 00:21:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: mt grief?

Hi John!

good work on the postmastering! i have been meaning to mention that!
thankyou!

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, John Utz wrote:
>
> > me again!
> >
> > 	in a rare fit of prior planning, i actually backed up my tarfiles
> > onto a scsi tape. Unfortuneately, i seem to be unable to read it! bummer!
> >
> > 128: {42} tar -xv
> > st0: not ready
> > tar: can't open /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
> > 128: {43} mt rewind
> > st0: not ready
> > mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error
>
> 	john,  use 'mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf 1' to awaken the mt/kernel code.
> every time i boot, i get error from the drive till i do this.  then 'mt
> -f /dev/rst0 rewind' and the thing works like a champ ;)

for u maybe!! :-)

here is my results:
128: {6}  mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf 1
mt: /dev/rst0: Device not configured
128: {7} mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
mt: /dev/rst0: Device not configured

and the annoying thing about this is that it actually worked on the march
snap...oh well...too bad i had no time to keep up...