Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:18:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on 5x86 and K5 systems/XF86 and the Matrox  Mystique card...

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Wes Peters wrote:

> Mohan Srinivasan wrote:
>  % I was also looking to buy a Matrox Mystique card. Is this card supported
>  % by XF86 ? Are there any known problems with this card, as far as running X
>  % is concerned ?
>
> Ludwig Pummer writes:
>  > Last I heard, the Mystique is _not_ yet supported by XF86. The Millenium
>  > (what I have) was recently added to the SVGA server, so you might want to
>  > read the Readme for the SVGA server and see if support for the Mystique has
>  > been added yet.
>
> If you're looking for a 3D card, the S3Virge chipset is currently
> supported.  It is listed as "alpha" level by XFree86.ORG, but seems to
> work pretty well.  I've not experienced any crashes, but I do
> occasionally get really annoying screen "tears" and an occasional
> flash.

Excellent cards, shop well and $70 will get you a generic S3Virge with 4
Meg EDO Ram.  The only problem is, 24/32 bpp modes aren't supported in
XF32.  XF32A supports 24 bpp mode for the non VRAM Virge, but reportedly
Netscape and a few other programs have problems running in this mode with
the S3Virge server.