Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lin <stevenclin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI Probe on Pentium-120

Hello,

I'm trying to make use of an old Pentium-120 machine, so I thought I'd
start by installing FreeBSD 4.4 (I'm running 4.4 on a couple other,
newer machines in the house already.)

Anyway, some important devices in this P120 machine include:

Intel 82557-based Ethernet NIC
Adaptec 2940W SCSI controller

both on the PCI bus.

However, when booting from the install diskettes for 4.4, the PCI bus
is never probed, thus these devices are never found, thus I have major
problems trying to install (no disk and no network).

In other words, I never see any messages like "pci0" or anything
having to do with PCI on the startup screen, like I typically do when
installing FreeBSD.

Both the NIC and the hard drive attached to the SCSI controller work
just fine under Windows, so I think the hardware is okay.

I have seen some ancient messages in the newsgroups regarding
non-standard PCI chipsets and some difficulties in detecting PCI BIOS
on some machines -- mostly Compaqs.  The machine in question is a
"generic" machine - not sure what kind of motherboard, but certainly
not a Compaq.

Any ideas how I can get the FreeBSD 4.4 install disk to probe the PCI
bus and find the PCI devices?

Thanks!
Steve Lin