Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:48:39 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update error ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory

Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com> writes:

> I just saw a large list of errors for freebsd-update of the form
>
> Installing updates...
>
> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
> ln: ///rescue/[: No such file or directory
>
> is this something to panic about?

Panic, no. But it is a problem; your /rescue tree is basically unpopulated.

You didn't hand-delete "/rescue/[", did you?

I'm not sure what the best way to re-install rescue would be, but you
definitely want to do so. You might go years without needing it, but it
saves a lot of time (and panic) when you do.