Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:11:05 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to log more detailed lpd actions?

You generally cannot get an _accurate_ page count
for PostScript jobs by mucking around with the job while it's
in the spool.

However, it's possible to get THE PRINTER TO TELL YOU what the
number of printed pages were.  You do, of course need 3 things,
first bidirectional communication with the printer, second
you need a printer smart enough to do it, and third you need
the spooling software to do it.  An example is the
PPR distribution at ftp://ppr-dist.trincoll.edu/pub/ppr/

Let us know what you had to do to get it to compile and run
under FreeBSD.  I built the 1.31 ppr distribution once under
FreeBSD but didn't get it to work.