Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:38:47 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Matt Anderson <matt.anderson@aecinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm looking for low-cost, 120G backup solution.

Matt Anderson wrote:
> Well, first thing I noticed is that you spoke about compression a lot
> but if you are backing up jpegs you won't really get any compression.

Exactly, that's why most of the low-cost solutions I've found won't
work, because they can only get the amount of storage we need if
they assume 2:1 compression, and we don't get anywhere near that.
It's probably something closer to 10:9 compression.

> Second, having done a lot of looking for large capacity backup recently,
> I don't think you'll find anything adequate that is "low cost".

Guess I should have been clearer.  I was looking at something in
line with the Onstream 120G systems. ~$1000 for the drive, and
~$100/tape.
When I first started looking, I couldn'd find anything with near
that capacity for under $2000 (most were around $4000) but we found
the VXA-2 system which boasts BSD compatibility and runs right
about the price-range we were looking for.

Thanks for the reply.

> Matt Anderson
>
> On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 09:29, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>Hello all.
>>
>>I'm looking for a backup solution that can handle as much
>>as 120G (compressed) per tape.
>>I was pretty excited about OnStream's systems, except that
>>they don't seem to be supported by FreeBSD.  Is anyone out
>>there using one of these reliably?
>>The client is currently using DAT tapes, but they've got
>>over 50G worth of data to back up, and it doesn't seem to
>>compress any smaller than 40G.  (this is a design firm, a
>>lot of their files are HUGE, photo-quality jpegs)
>>With the DATs, it takes all day of swapping tapes to get
>>a backup.
>>We're looking at adding another 74G of storage to the main
>>fileserver, and I don't want to upgrade their backup system
>>to something that will be overwhelmed in 6 months.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>--
>>Bill Moran
>>Potential Technologies