Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:20:10 -0700
From:      a11 <a11@pclv.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Someone into my system?

Hi, I hope you will help me out .  I am so new at this you wouldn't
believe it...However, I have FreeBSD running our server. (Someone else
installed it for us.) Anyway...the info below  appeared on the screen
Wed evening. I was informed that there had been a power outage and that
"may" have caused it.  Woud you please look through this an give me your
unbiased opinion of what was going on with this server? Any insight you
can give me will be appreciated.  I'm trying to learn FreeBSD and when I
get another computer, I will take my present computer and dedicate it to
learning how to use FreeBSD, but right now I'm just stuck until I can't
get to that step. Your opinion would be helpful and insightful I'm
sure.  Thanks so much for your time and effort. Thanks, Ben
Here's the info from Wed evening,there seemed to be more info above this
first line but I couldn't get back to it to see what it said?

aliasing to <our IP number> mtu 1500 bytes
add net default: gateway <our gateway address appears here>
additional routing options: tcp extensions=NO IP gateway=YES TCP
keepalive=YES
routing daemons: .
Mounting NFS file systems.
additional daeman: syslogdde0: DAD complete for
fe80:0001::0240:05ff:fea1:8f42 - no duplicates found.
dc0: DAD complete for fe80:0002::)2a):ccff:fe40:cdb6 - no duplicates
found.

Doing additional network setup: named portmap
Starting final network daemons:.
setting ELF ldconfig path:/usr/liv /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib
setting a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail.
Initial rc.i386 initialization: .
rc.i386 configuring syscons: blank_time
starting local daemons: [Wed Sep 13 18:27:34 2000] [warn]
NameVirtualHost <our secondary IP number> has no VirtualHosts
Apache/1.3.2 mod_ssl/2.62(PassPhraseDialog) Some of your private key
files are encrypted for security reasons. In order to read them you have

to provide us with the pass phrases.
Enter pass phrase:

Thurs, a new line showed up at the bottom:
Apache mod_ssl: Error: Pass phrase incorrect. (5 more retries permitted)

Enter pass phrase:

We are running two private machines networked to the server.  We use
cablemodem.

What exactly were they trying to accomplish?
The last date in any of the log files was July 1, 2000.
I ran "netstat", but it showed no "foreign" information.
I do not want to mess  this system up, as I am just learning.

Thank you for all help.

Ben