Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:38:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk changes, anyone?

Hi!

I just have to get a question in, on something I stumbled on when
installing 2.1.5-RELEASE.

> (Using 'echo ... |' would be even better.)  This dedicates the entire
> disk to FreeBSD, and recovers 31 sectors not used in the first case
> (when creating "compatible partitions", my fdisk changes round the start
> sector up to an head boundary, which wastes 31 sectors in the first
> example).

Umm... I got myself a Medalist 2GB HDD and installed FreeBSD over FTP, and
everything worked just fine. Althought I choose "Entire disk" and told it
to make it a "real partition", I installed booteasy, just because. :-)

Ok, so now I try and boot:
 F1 - BSD
 F5 - Disk 2

 > F?    (now I press F1)

 F1 - BSD
 F5 - Disk 2

 > F?

etc... F5 would make it go to the second disk and fail boot, but that was
expected. I tried a complete reinstall with different things, and setting
the bios setting for the disk to different things. No such luck.
Finally, I got a tip from a friend, and booted a little win95-dos floppy
and started dos fdisk. Delete nondos partition. Create primary dos
partition. Reboot. Format c:. Reboot from FBSD floppy. Install everything
once more, this time first deleting the dos partition and then doing just
a *C*reate and hitting return to get biggest possible partition. Install
finnishes, I reboot, and viola! Works like a charm.

Now... Somehow it seems the little bugger called booteasy uses something in
the bios or so to read the little FreeBSd boot part which gives the "Boot:"
prompt. Or? Somehow it wasn't very happy with the way FreeBSD's fdisk choose
to align the partition, or at least so it seems. Is this a known bug
(possibly fixed) bug, or a new one to you guys?

Sorry if this is something old...

  /Mikael