Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 23:41:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extra text modes via vidcontrol...

> 3. The video card doesn't support required graphics modes.
>    Run 'vidcontrol -i mode'  and see if the 320x200 256 color mode
>    is supported.  The vga driver in FreeBSD may not be able to support
>    all video modes, if the video card's BIOS is not as compatible as
>    it should be.

I have a somewhat related question for you:  I cannot set many extended text
modes (80x60, 80x50, 132x50, etc.) even though they are listed in the output
from `vidcontrol -i mode`.  My card is a Matrox Millenium G200 AGP if that is
any help.  Any suggestions for getting all those modes to work?

Also, do you know of any chipsets that just don't 'work' with the VESA support
for large splash screens?  We have a bunch of ATI Rage3D cards at my school
that won't load any splash screen above 320x200 even though they support VESA
2.0 and contain lots of video modes in their tables.

> Kazu

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc