Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:47:37 +0600
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        Nick Maschenko <mnvhome@mail.ru>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: A question about FreeBSD security

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:25:37PM +0400, Nick Maschenko wrote:

> [...]

I prefer to use IPF 'cose of it's stateful filtering.

man security
man 4 ipf
man 5 ipf
man ipfw
more /etc/rc.firewall
cd /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/rules; for arg in *; do more $arg; done;

> > > 2) does FreeBSD kernel realize defence against some DoS
> > >    attacks like smurf, broadcast, some types of
> > >    flooding?

Yes. See above.

> > > I know and i use Linux 2.4.x branch with iptables, which can prevent
> some DoS attacks by using it's built-in mechanism. Does FreeBSD do
> somethging like this? For example, i saw how "she" :-) rejects
> > > a burst of RST/ACK packets while NMap scanning (stealth scan). If you
> do not want to answer in details, please advice me some URL(s) where i can
> read about this myself.
> > > Best regards. Nick.

http://www.freebsdzine.org/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security.html