Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:45:47 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD suitability

I have a couple of questions as to the suitability of FreeBSD as an email
server in a NFS/NIS environment.

I wish to setup FreeBSD to handle email and a few other tasks.  We have
a mixed environment of Sun, AIX, HP-UX, SINIX, etc. and I would like to be
sure that if I:
	1) Put /var/mail on a (Sun?) server (also running NIS).
	2) Mount it to all the Unix W/S.
	3) Mount it on the FreeBSD machine.
	4) Run POP, IMAP and sendmail on the FreeBSD machine.
Will:
	a) NIS work correctly?
	b) Mailbox locking work correctly?

As I understand it, NIS does not quite work correctly between FreeBSD
and non-FreeBSD (especially with shadowed passwords?)

Also, FreeBSD does not support NFS file locking.  How can the mailbox
locking work correctly?  Do all Unix implementations use the same
mailbox locking methods?  I know some Unix systems expect /var/mail to
be publicly writable or group writable, others do not.  Must the
FreeBSD system have root access to /var/mail?  Must all the others?

How about quotas?  Some people accumulate huge amounts of email and
do not delete it.  Can I cap it with quotas on /var/mail?  Does FreeBSD
understand quotas over NFS?  What will sendmail do when the mailbox
exceeds quota?

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850