Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 22:59:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel Mahoney, Systems Admin" <danm@firestorm2000.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Frontpage, FINAL RESULTS.

Okay, the verdict's in.  After a lot of hammering on the production box,
I've decided that using the FP extensions in their current incarnation on
a freebsd 3.2-RELEASE system is simply not possible.  I've followed every
tutorial to the letter, and short of shelling out several hundred bucks to
rtr, I don't see an option.  I've gone as far as making the comparison to
running the extensions on a freebsd 4.0 box (works fine!), and am vuagely
contemplating trying it with a 3.3 box that I have permission to play
with, but in the end I've resolved it to a version compatability issue.

(I have supporting advice from someone on the list on this).

I simply love that freebsd users have been able to use the bsdi extensions
for some time now (since before the 2k extensions or 3.3 came
out...grrr...) and now they're no longer available.  It's funny, though.
It's not like this is a complicated issue...It's a shame in order to get
this working, I have to start upgrading an otherwise-okay system, or build
a new box (this is probably what will happen...which means the frontpage
users are going to be isolated from the user base.  In the end, this is
probably for the best too...Keep nasty microsoft extensions away from the
pretty poweredges.)

Okay, I'm done.  Thanks one and all.  I'm off my soapbox.  (And trying to
figure out where in it to mount the drives for the new webserver and
celery board)

-Dan Mahoney
Exasperated MS Antagonist