Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:03:57 +0800
From:      Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: ipfw problems ...

> I recently setup a box on our network, running FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE,
> with ipfw and dummynet to do bandwidth shaping as well as firewalling ...

> The machine is a Dual PIII 733 w/1gig of RAM and 2xfxp0 devices ...

> I've got an /etc/fw.rules file that has ~1200 rules in it so far, and
> still have more that I want to put in, but today the machine locked up
> solid ...

> I ended up re-starting the machine with fw set to open, and loaded a few
> rules at a time ... got up to 747 rules before the machine pretty much
> ground to a halt, with the occasional keystroke going through ...

> ~900 or so of the rules are purely 'pass thru' rules ...

>  we have two
> connections to the internet ...

May we know how exaclty your system is connected?

Two connections usually mean two network interfaces and some specially
set  up  routing  policy,  therefore  the shaping could be easily done
using these circumstances.

So what is your situation?

 Igor                            mailto:poige@morning.ru