Date:      Fri, 15 May 2009 20:41:13 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg 1.6.0 uses 100% CPU in gnome+gdm

Hi all

I upgraded kernel, world and ports from ~7.1 RELEASE to RELENG_7 of
yesterday, and now Xorg constantly chews CPU. I'm running:

FreeBSD jacob.nubtek.com 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #2: Thu May 14
20:37:49 BST 2009
root@jacob.nubtek.com:/usr/obj/usr/data/FreeBSD/RELENG_7/src/sys/LOST
i386

I've double checked that all ports are up to date, and was going to
blame some bug in the nvidia binary driver, but it also exhibits it if I
use the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver as well - I've not tested nouveau. The
nvidia.ko module was loaded whilst running with nv and vesa, would that
matter?

I tried disabling any/all of the extensions (damage, composite etc - see
xorg.conf for full list) but this had no effect. I also checked to see
if there what difference there was between a full gnome session, just
gdm, and just twm. There was no difference between a full gnome session
and just gdm, it still used 100% CPU, but just running 'Xorg
-config /etc/X11/xorg.conf', without running any wm at all, used
virtually no CPU.

I'm running hald and dbus.

All relevant logs/conf files/pkg lists can be got at here [1]. Any
hints/ideas, as the sound of my fan whirling constantly is driving me
nuts!

Please keep me cc'ed, I'm not on freebsd-gnome@

Cheers

Tom