Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:11:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: witness code status?

Jason Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 04:32:36PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > What's the current status of the integration of BSDi's
> > witness code?  If I include "options WITNESS" in my kernel
> > config file, I get an immediate panic at boot.  My sources
> > are from today (01 Oct 00), and the system is currently
> > running a MP kernel (built without the witness code).
> >

> I (and others) have been running kernels with the witness code enabled for
> over a month.  The witness code's purpose is to detect lock cycles that
> could cause deadlock, among other incorrect mutex uses.  The stack trace
> and panic message in your email seem indicate a programming error.  In
> other words, the witness code is doing its job.

Shoot, I was afraid you's say the above.  I haven't been able to
convince this machine to give me a crash dump for further analysis.
I'll keep trying because this repeatable here.

The KDEBUG option isn't documented in NOTES, but I noticed it strewn
through kern_mutex.c.  Will enabling this option provide more
information that can help track this done?

--
Steve