Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 14:24:17 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Extra text modes via vidcontrol...

>> 3. The video card doesn't support required graphics modes.
>>    Run 'vidcontrol -i mode'  and see if the 320x200 256 color mode
>>    is supported.  The vga driver in FreeBSD may not be able to support
>>    all video modes, if the video card's BIOS is not as compatible as
>>    it should be.
>
>I have a somewhat related question for you:  I cannot set many extended text
>modes (80x60, 80x50, 132x50, etc.) even though they are listed in the output
>from `vidcontrol -i mode`.  My card is a Matrox Millenium G200 AGP if that is
>any help.  Any suggestions for getting all those modes to work?

These text modes with more than 25 lines require 8x8 font which is not
loaded to the kernel by default.  You can load one of 8x8 font files in
/usr/share/syscons/fonts via `vidcontrol -f _font_file_name_'.

You can automatically load font at boot time by editting
/etc/rc.conf.local (3.1-RELEASE or later) or /rc/rc.conf (3.0-RELEASE
or earlier includeing 2.2.X).

>Also, do you know of any chipsets that just don't 'work' with the VESA support
>for large splash screens?  We have a bunch of ATI Rage3D cards at my school
>that won't load any splash screen above 320x200 even though they support VESA
>2.0 and contain lots of video modes in their tables.

I don't have such list.  It is "chipset", but "BIOS" that matters.

Are you sure you enabled "options VM86" in the kernel configuration
file and loaded the vesa module by the boot loader?

Would you tell me more about the bitmap file you are attempting to
load?

Kazu