Date:      29 Dec 2002 16:19:51 -0500
From:      Glenn Becker <burningclown@burningclown.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   GRUB and large disks on an older Toshiba laptop

Hi -

About a year ago I went through some gyrations (detailed here) replacing
the 2.1G hard drive on a Toshiba 470CDT with a 30g one, then getting
FreeBSD set up 'next to' Linux. It's all been working nicely since then.

Now I'm trying to set up a 'triple-boot' machine, adding Win98 into the
middle - yesterday I read a newish HOWTO on how to do this using GNU
GRUB (Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO on TLDP), by effectively 'tricking' the Win
partition into thinking it is booting from the first partition of the
first disk.

(fwiw, all I want to do is run a couple of Win-only applications ... I'd
sink some dough into Win4Lin but dough is short).

The weird thing that is happening now is that GRUB seems unable to deal
with anything above the 'cylinder limit' (it's not specifying but I
assume the 1024 cylinder limit). I've been booting things from above
there for over a year using LILO. I tried re-installing GRUB forcing
lba-support. Same result.

It doesn't help that the GRUB installation instructions in the Gnu info
document and the ones in the aforementioned HOWTO don't seem to jive ...
but so far I've found few hints with Google searches so I wonder if
anyone has any advice on this.

btw, my FreeBSD partition is (for reasons I can't recall) the one
flagged "bootable" in fdisk, even though it's the last (fourth) one on
the hd.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Becker