Date:      Fri, 28 May 2004 09:04:25 -0400
From:      Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmlewis@dslextreme.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrading KDE from 3.1.4 to 3.2.2

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
"Joshua Lewis" <jmlewis@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>After much time and effort, I have a working FBSD 4.9 system with
>everything I need for a working desktop system. However, after much
>research I decided I want to install KDE 3.2.2. My options are upgrade
>KDE or reinstall my whole system. I do not wish to do the latter.

 I found that the "ports" version of KDE was behind, but the "package" was
up to date. So I went with deleting KDE and re-adding as a package.

 After asking a few questions, I was also advised to use a specific
server, so I did the following:

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.2.1-ports-test11/4-STABLE/Latest

(export
PACKAGESITE=ftp://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.2.1-ports-test11/4-S
TABLE/Latest if you're using sh/bash/zsh)

and do pkg_add -r kde.

Before you do that though, make sure to deinstall any previously installed
packages/ports of KDE, arts and qt:

pkg_delete -f quanta\* kdevelop\* kde\* arts\* qt\*

I seem to recall I had to fiddle with the environment in order for it to
reach the FTP site, but nothing that wasn't in the 'man'

The version available today will be higher than this, as I was tinkering
back in mid-March.

By using the packages, I was able to delete and upgrade KDE in a matter of
minutes.

Good luck!
-gerry