Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:30:19 +0100
From:      Frank Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using FreeBSD - Or Debian kFreeBSD

Hi:

I started using FreeBSD because I wanted to develop an independent CD/DVD=20
Writing utility. FreeBSD had its ATAPI Interface sorted when Linux was stil=
l=20
struggling with the old IDE-SCSI Driver. So I got started using FreeBSD, an=
d=20
developed "Spiegel" (the thing with the Wildebeest License, which you'll fi=
nd=20
on the Web) and a couple of other utilities. But then the FreeBSD Interface=
=20
changed and my programs crashed for reasons which I couldn't understand.=20
Meanwhile Linux got their SG Interface sorted, so I switched to Linux, whic=
h=20
then worked better anyway.

Another point which may be relevant: I like trying different Unix flavours,=
=20
so my habit is always to install new versions from scratch, never upgrading=
=2E=20
As a FreeBSD Desktop User I get problems which don't seem to bother other=20
people, and this could be the reason why. Possibly Debian kFreeBSD will=20
resolve these issues when it reaches Production form.

Yours truly: Frank Mitchell