Date:      23 Jan 2003 20:54:02 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.*.mk documentation

"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk> writes:

> Is anybody else looking at updating/documenting this ?

I recently filed ports/47036 on part of it.  Beware changes that mess up
the patch (on bsd.port.mk).  I don't know the protocol for simultaneous
changes, but I suppose we'd discuss it.

My docs/35652 about bsd.README was closed without anything begin fixed,
after a small bit of it became moot.  You might want to resurrect the
rest of it.  Mabye at least insert the missing lines (except for
now-gone bsd.docb.mk).

If you run out of things to document, note that many makefile variables
are undocumented in their comment headers.  I was going to note the
issue of what you leave in flat files and what you move to the manpage,
but I can't remember what the relevant manpage is, if any.

Note that bsd.port.mk is mentioned a couple of times in the Handbook
and that sys.mk and /usr/share/mk are mentioned in make(1) manpage.

It's good to see it being worked on.

Thanks.