Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:15:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Jimmy <jimmy@isppro.net>
Cc:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, francisv@dagupan.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup solutions

I'm not sure what you mean by tasks queues, but as for the all machines
questions, as long as the tape is large anough to hold the data you are
backing up, then yes.

We do full level 0 dumps of each machine on our network every
night.  Yeah, you could argue the full dumps aren't necessary, but it's
easier for us to get everything all at once.

Amanda can back up entire disk partitions from any machine you choose, and
if you list all the partitions from each of the machines, then you will
have all of them on tape.

Amanda can run in parallel mode, it tells the machines to send their
data, and whatever data comes in that cannot yet get written to tape
(either the drive is busy with another backup already, or all the
partitions aren't there yet), it gets written to the holding disk, and
then gets put onto tape when ready, so I hope that addresses your question
about queues.

-Gary

"Complexity breeds bugs.  Bugs prevent adoption, lack of adoption results
in death.  Death not good."